Book, one author:
Berry, Wendell.The Gift of Good Land. San Francisco: Northpoint, 1981.
Book, two to three authors:
Lynd, Robert and Helen Lynd. Middletown: A Study in American Culture. New York: Harcourt, Brace and World, 1929.
Book, four or more authors:
Hall, Jacquelyn Dowd, James Leloudis, Robert Korstad, Mary Murphy, Lu Ann Jones, and Christopher B. Daly.Like a Family: The Making of a
Southern Cotton Mill World. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1987.
- Unlike in the footnote or endnote, all author names are written in the bibliography.
Book with editor:
Del Castillo, Adelaida R., ed. Between Borders: Essays on Mexicana/Chicana History. Encino, CA: Floricanto, 1990.
Chapter in a book:
Higdon Beech, Mary. "The Domestic Realm in the Lives of Hindu Women in Calcutta." In Separate Worlds: Studies of Purdah in South Asia,
edited by Hanna Papanek and Gail Minault, 110-38. Delhi, India: Chanakya, 1982.
- When citing an individual chapter (including instances when you cite a direct quote from the chapter), put the page numbers of the whole chapter after the book title or editor.
E-books downloaded from library or bookseller:
Austen, Jane. Pride and Prejudice. New York: Penguin Classics, 2007. Kindle edition.
E-books consulted online:
Elliot Antokoletz, Musical Symbolism in the Operas of Debussy and Bartók (New York: Oxford University Press, 2008), doi:10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195365825.001.0001.
E-books on CD-ROM:
The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed. (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2003), CD-ROM, 1.4.
E-books of freely available older works:
Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass (New York, 1855), 22, http://www.whitmanarchive.org/published/LG/1855/whole.html.
Inserting references into footnotes/endnotes in word
- Click in the Word document at the location for your footnote reference
- Click on the References tab on the ribbon at the top of the screen, and then select Insert Footnote or Insert Endnote. The Word cursor will move to the footnote/endnote location
- A footnote appears at the bottom of the page
- An endnote appears at the end of the document. (Do not confuse a Word endnote with your EndNote software)
- Use the EndNote toolbar to insert the citation into the footnote
- Repeat this procedure for each footnote
Insert a Page Break before the bibliography at the end of the document to ensure your bibliography is printed on a separate page at the end of your document. The footnotes will appear at the bottom of the relevant page, correctly formatted.
Inserting author-date style (eg. APA 6th)
- Create the footnote using Word's footnoting tool
- Insert the citations into the footnotes using a normal author-date style
After you format the paper, the footnotes will contain abbreviated in-text citations such as (Smith, 1992) and the full reference will appear in the bibliography.
Inserting footnote-specific style (eg. Chicago 16th Footnote)
- Create the footnotes using Word
- Insert the citations into the footnote using a special style which is configured to deal specifically with footnotes
Depending on the output style, the citation may appear in the footnote as:
- a complete reference
- an abbreviated reference with just a short title
In most styles, the full reference appears in the bibliography.
Changing configuration of output styles
- In EndNote, click on Edit on the top menu bar
- Click on Output Styles - Open Style Manager
- Highlight the relevant output style and click on Edit
- When the edit window opens, go to Footnotes in the left-hand pane, and click on the subheading Templates
- On the right-hand side of the edit window, you will see a drop-down menu showing how EndNote formats citations in the footnotes
- Same as citations: EndNote will format the references like the citations in your text, eg (Smith, 1999).
- Using footnote format: EndNote will format the references in a special footnote style, which is defined in the Templates pane below the drop-down menu.
- Same as bibliography: EndNote will format the references in the footnotes in the same way as the references in the bibliography at the end of your document.
Insert specific page numbers in footnotes
To include page numbers for a reference in a footnote:
- Highlight the citation and select the Edit Citation(s) command
You will now see a dialogue box
- In the box labelled Pages, type the page number(s)
- Click on the OK button
This will only work if the EndNote output style is configured to use Cited Pages.
Removing the bibliography from the end of the document
To edit the output style so that it does not generate a bibliography at the end of the document:
- Go to the Styles Manager and open the style for editing
- Select File and then Save As to save the output style under a new name
- In the left-hand frame, click on the Footnotes heading
- Under this heading, select the Templates section
- On the right-hand side of the edit window, uncheck the box labelled Include citations in bibliography
- Close the edit window by clicking on the X button. When prompted, save the changes that you have made